Thursday, March 21, 2013

Then is Now, Again

Working on this PLU reminded me of a poem i wrote in 2002 - Then is Now.    I realized that we (I) was still stuck in old teaching practices; these thoughts resulted in a second poem - Then is Now, Again.    The 2013 poem is posted in the blog and also on my podcast, which i hope will be embedded in this blog.  The original poem will be posted separate.  Hope you enjoy the blog and the podcast
 
Then is Now, Again


In 2002, sameness crept over me
As I wandered through the replica
Of then, which looked like now….

Rows of sameness pierced my soul
And was overwhelmed
With shame.

Now, the shame is me
Looking tentatively at technology.

Web 2.0
Where do I go
       
        To unlock the rows
        From teaching to learning

        To unleash the mind
        From fishing to reeling
 
       Infusing innovation to
       The ones charged to teach.

Can it be, that we
Are the cause -
The instructors, not the
Instructee?

Again, sameness creeps over my soul
But now I am armed,
Ready to charm
The shadows of traditions.

Ready to grow
With Web 2.0.
 
Vernet C. Nettles, Ed.D.
March 21, 2013

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment